zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

MTD 14-Inch 11-Amp Single Stage Snow Thrower
Price: $119.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Feb 24 to Tuesday, Feb 25) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

geoffreysteinman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages geoffreysteinman

i'm from North Carolina (high of 70 on Friday), so please enlighten me - what's the difference between a snow blower and a "snow thrower"?

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3447 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page and let's learn all about MTD

and

Don't forget, safety first!

lichme

quality posts: 2829 Private Messages lichme

4 Star reviews from Amazon
Good reviews from Walmart

clmrt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clmrt
geoffreysteinman wrote:i'm from North Carolina (high of 70 on Friday), so please enlighten me - what's the difference between a snow blower and a "snow thrower"?

One's like a hooker, the other is like a bodyguard.

briannanoob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages briannanoob

Kind of hard to push if you're not strong, especially if there is a lot of snow. But it does throw lots of snow quickly. It's noisy but who cares when it's snowing hard. As a bonus, this puts out some pretty good vibrations. When I didn't have a boyfriend, I sometimes turned it on just so that I can rub against it. And if I'm really having a dry spell, I'd sit on it and let it vibrate me to The Promised Land. So for me, it's a year round appliance. Get it Lonely Ladies and you may ask yourself why you even bother with men. I'm talking about shoveling snow, of course.

briannanoob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages briannanoob
geoffreysteinman wrote:i'm from North Carolina (high of 70 on Friday), so please enlighten me - what's the difference between a snow blower and a "snow thrower"?

Probably something to do with cocaine and sex.

smigit2002

quality posts: 12 Private Messages smigit2002
briannanoob wrote:As a bonus, this puts out some pretty good vibrations. When I didn't have a boyfriend, I sometimes turned it on just so that I can rub against it. And if I'm really having a dry spell, I'd sit on it and let it vibrate me to The Promised Land.

Blows the snow, pleases the ladies, what more can you ask for?!

acanarelli

quality posts: 223 Private Messages acanarelli

I'm a bit north of you in NJ where we had a high today of 51. A tip...don't get use to it, as it's about to change.

Regarding your question about snow blower/snow thrower. They're both the same, it's just what people tend to call them. By the way, an electric would be perfect for you in North Carolina. I have one about the same size as this one which I purchased from Woot late last year. Light weight, easy to start, as you just push a button and very easy to use. I love it and so do others who own electrics.

kingolaf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingolaf

I think I read on one of the Specs, does this snow thrower need to be plugged in with a cord while operating or is it cordless?

isnus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages isnus

I would have boughten a much smaller unit today if traffic didn't cause me to miss the store closing time. I guess I got lucky.

This seemed like a good deal until I searched for what else is out there. For $8 more I can get 2.5x the clearing depth and an extra 4" of width (and a much stronger motor).

I ended up going with the Snow Joe SJM988 18-Inch 13.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower With Headlight for $132 w/ free 2-day shipping. 4.4 stars out of 5 w/ 189 reviews on Woot's parent site.

isnus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages isnus
kingolaf wrote:I think I read on one of the Specs, does this snow thrower need to be plugged in with a cord while operating or is it cordless?

It needs to be plugged in. Make sure to use a heavy gauge extension cord that matches your AMP draw and distance needed.

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

Hi, I'm in Arizona. (85 today) What's "snow?" :D

(Oh, what is a "jacket?")

Sorry, had to do it!

steve

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
briannanoob wrote:As a bonus, this puts out some pretty good vibrations. When I didn't have a boyfriend, I sometimes turned it on just so that I can rub against it. And if I'm really having a dry spell, I'd sit on it and let it vibrate me to The Promised Land. So for me, it's a year round appliance. Get it Lonely Ladies and you may ask yourself why you even bother with men. I'm talking about shoveling snow, of course.

I wish I had known this last month. I would have bought this instead of the sump pump for Valentine's Day. She hasn't said anything but I don't think she was too happy with the sump pump.

sdc100

kingolaf wrote:I think I read on one of the Specs, does this snow thrower need to be plugged in with a cord while operating or is it cordless?

At 11 amps (similar to many upright vacuum cleaners), it needs to be plugged in. A battery wouldn't last too long and would take too long to recharge. Not good for blizzards where you'll use this several times a day. Make sure you use a WEATHER-PROOF extension cord that can handle 11 amps (12-14 gauge is probably good). Indoor cords aren't made to handle moisture so don't use them,

cheffelipe

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cheffelipe
skou wrote:Hi, I'm in Arizona. (85 today) What's "snow?" :D

Sorry, had to do it!

steve

You forgot "what is rain?"

phonedog365

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phonedog365

The little plastic rollers are a deal-breaker for me. No tires, no sale.

indytycoon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages indytycoon

One stage versus two stage.

http://www.snowblowersatjacks.com/Snow-thrower-vs-snow-blower.aspx

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa

Sorry, had to do it!

steve

Wow, if it's 85 in February, imagine how cozy it will be in August.

whitcwa

phonedog365 wrote:The little plastic rollers are a deal-breaker for me. No tires, no sale.

These lightweight electric models don't need big wheels. In fact, my Toro 1800 works best if you don't have the wheels touching the pavement. If a wheel broke, I wouldn't replace it.

whitcwa

These light weight electric models take longer to clear a path than a big heavy gas model, but they can handle very deep snow. You just lift them up and sweep them over the snow taking a few passes to get it done. Still much easier than shoveling. At 32 lbs, this unit is a bit on the heavy side. My Toro 18inch model is only 24 pounds.

schni

quality posts: 4 Private Messages schni

Sorry, had to do it!

steve

Oh, so you think your state is immune to snow?

Some other states thought so too, until recently...

oglensky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oglensky
isnus wrote:I would have boughten a much smaller unit today if traffic didn't cause me to miss the store closing time. I guess I got lucky.

This seemed like a good deal until I searched for what else is out there. For $8 more I can get 2.5x the clearing depth and an extra 4" of width (and a much stronger motor).

I ended up going with the Snow Joe SJM988 18-Inch 13.5 Amp Electric Snow Thrower With Headlight for $132 w/ free 2-day shipping. 4.4 stars out of 5 w/ 189 reviews on Woot's parent site.

Where can I by the Snow Joe for $132??

swikster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swikster
oglensky wrote:Where can I by the Snow Joe for $132??

As mentioned in the original text the Snow Joe is at the parent site (Amazon).

drn1023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drn1023

Generally, people say "snow THROWER" to mean a single stage where the snow is thrown up into the chute by the paddles. A snow BLOWER is usually meant to be at least 2 stage, where augers break up the snow and pull it into the rear of the housing, where a high speed impeller throws it up through the chute. At least that is my understanding.

buzzwang

quality posts: 10 Private Messages buzzwang

Excellent timing considering Minnesota and Wisconsin just got buried overnight in snow....

eclectus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eclectus

Sorry, had to do it!

steve

Nobody likes you and there's toilet paper stuck to your shoe. (Boston. Reveling in above-freezing temperatures for a second consecutive day!)

dkm1new

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dkm1new
sdc100 wrote:At 11 amps (similar to many upright vacuum cleaners), it needs to be plugged in. A battery wouldn't last too long and would take too long to recharge. Not good for blizzards where you'll use this several times a day. Make sure you use a WEATHER-PROOF extension cord that can handle 11 amps (12-14 gauge is probably good). Indoor cords aren't made to handle moisture so don't use them,

Au Contraire, the Snow Joe folks produce a battery operated model. Runs for 1+ hour on a charge and takes about 2 hours to charge up. Does a dang good job for a small thrower with the mind-numbing convenience of an electric, without the stupid cord which in my warped world, in the winter would be sorta crazy in addition to bad form and huge pain in the badonkadonk.

andyshannon3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andyshannon3

There is no such thing as a snow blower, they are all snow throwers, its a misnomer that is widely used.

kwyjibo73

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kwyjibo73

Where was this 8 weeks ago???

autryld

quality posts: 6 Private Messages autryld
swikster wrote:As mentioned in the original text the Snow Joe is at the parent site (Amazon).

There aren't any Snow Joes for sale for $132 on Amazon currently.

vlpronj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vlpronj
skou wrote:What's "snow?" :D

It's a natural scorpion repellent.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
vlpronj wrote:It's a natural scorpion repellent.

Baaaaahaaaaaaa!It works in my area.

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

Well guess what, I live in Michigan and the weather changed from sunny to snowing in the past 5 minutes. 2 days ago it was sunny and yet there was snow falling. This little tiny POS on woot will logbook its own pants if I took it outside lol. MTD is a good company and their snow-blowers are very reliable. I have a dual stage gas blower with forward assist, metal blades and all the sexiness you can get. it never fails to turn on with the third pull even when it was -37 degrees here. And believe me, plug in blowers are NOT ok when clearing snow. Another thing, these snow blowers cannot move wet snow and their plastic blades breaks down alot easier than metal blades. And they do not throw the snow too far. I have about 28" of snow outside my house on my front lawn and about to get 8" more, you can only imagine it will be a good hiding spot for this blower from all the wind lol.
I understand gas ones is a little bit expensive but its totally worth the money. And changing tires are extremely easy. Takes about 5 minutes maybe. there's only 2 bolts to open and thats about it.

peterjames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterjames

"Push-button start eliminates pull starting"

Kinda redundant considering it's an electric snow thrower, isn't it?

ozymandias2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozymandias2

Enough with electrics already! Bring on the gas ones.

mrdancer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrdancer

I see your thrower and raise you a sleigh:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/True-Temper-Ergo-24-in-Snow-Sleigh-1600900/202054894/

Pros: Quieter, easier on the back, cheaper, stores more easily, probably just as fast, and much more environmentally friendly! Plus you get a good cardio workout, which is sometimes hard to get when you're snowed in.

Cons: it doesn't vibrate :|

sdc100

dkm1new wrote:Au Contraire, the Snow Joe folks produce a battery operated model. Runs for 1+ hour on a charge and takes about 2 hours to charge up. Does a dang good job for a small thrower with the mind-numbing convenience of an electric, without the stupid cord which in my warped world, in the winter would be sorta crazy in addition to bad form and huge pain in the badonkadonk.

Not sure what model you're referring to but the only battery-operated model currectly active on their site doesn't match the specs you state. The site states that it only runs for 40 mins and takes 2.5-3 hrs to charge. But most importantly, there' no indication that it' an 11 amp motor. Do you have a link for your model that uses an 11 amp motor?

sdc100

bighamms wrote:So i read this entire thread and felt that the quote above was the most pertinent. Unless you are a hideous beast or literally look like your avatar there is absolutely no reason that any woman should be experiencing a dry spell. You're just not trying hard enough.

Perhaps it's the men who are not trying hard enough...?