Top 2% of Tools Woots
Top 4% of all Woots

Quality Posts

woncoolone

quality posts: 4028 Private Messages woncoolone

dctipton1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dctipton1
woncoolone wrote:Walmart has 4.4 Stars

...and sells it for $10 more than here-(including shipping). You will get it quicker and have no hassles if need to return. Too bad, but learned the hard way that unless there is a significant price difference, not going to bite, given the potential after purchase issues.

first2summit

quality posts: 16 Private Messages first2summit
dctipton1 wrote:...and sells it for $10 more than here-(including shipping). You will get it quicker and have no hassles if need to return. Too bad, but learned the hard way that unless there is a significant price difference, not going to bite, given the potential after purchase issues.

Consider that $10 "insurance" but I get you. It's sometimes a deal breaker for me.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 48 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

Interesting how these things show up on the market as pretty much the same device, different brands, with small differences in features. I wonder if it's some kind of competition thing between different Chinese factories. The one I have came from Woot last September:

http://tools.woot.com/offers/12v-jump-starter-kit-and-power-supply-5

It was $60, which is a lot more than $35, BUT mine is 12A, 150% of this one which is 8A. That's a big difference. And mine came with another accessory cord with 8 adapters for various laptops, and it will produce enough current to run a big 17.3" inch screen i7 laptop for more than two hours. So, I say thumbs up to these gadgets overall, and this one is lighter duty than mine but it's also a lot cheaper.

Zombe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zombe

For those of you with the knowledge and skillz, there are a few instructional videos or sites on how to build these on your own. It might not be as small or as pretty looking - but at least this way you know how it was made, WHO made it, and what quality of parts went into it....

jsp

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jsp

Having been left stranded this past weekend, I'm seriously tempted -- and a little confused: please, anybody, will this thing actually jump-start an SUV battery? And any ideas on how to keep it charged enough for that capacity? Thanks in advance!

tvosselm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tvosselm

depends on how dead your battery is.. Looks like this has 400 cranking amps, you can check your battery and see what the Cranking Amps it is providing...

jsp

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jsp
tvosselm wrote:depends on how dead your battery is.. Looks like this has 400 cranking amps, you can check your battery and see what the Cranking Amps it is providing...

Thanks! will go hunt the car manual right now... (Edit to add - ok, BIGTIME thanks being sent out to you, tvosselm.... that was a crucial bit of info, and I'm deeply grateful!)

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 30 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

jsp wrote:Having been left stranded this past weekend, I'm seriously tempted -- and a little confused: please, anybody, will this thing actually jump-start an SUV battery? And any ideas on how to keep it charged enough for that capacity? Thanks in advance!

Per the vendor: It will jump a V-6 suv, but not a V-8

Zandor1995

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zandor1995
jsp wrote:Having been left stranded this past weekend, I'm seriously tempted -- and a little confused: please, anybody, will this thing actually jump-start an SUV battery? And any ideas on how to keep it charged enough for that capacity? Thanks in advance!

Realistically these are for motor cycles or small engine cars

BigD

quality posts: 69 Private Messages BigD
lorenzodemedici wrote:Interesting how these things show up on the market as pretty much the same device, different brands, with small differences in features. I wonder if it's some kind of competition thing between different Chinese factories.

Well, the one you linked is a direct import item, there's no telling who made it, how its wired, what batteries are in it and who will stand behind it when you have a problem.

The unit for sale on Woot today is made by Schumacher. They only make power/battery products, and when I saw "make" I mean literally "make". Here's a list of their patents: http://www.batterychargers.com/patents . Schumacher is carried by specialty tool stores that only carry the best items, so there's no comparison to the cheap no name import items found on Amazon or eBay.

What does refurbished or recertified mean? Click here to find out.

netprophet1976

quality posts: 0 Private Messages netprophet1976

I have a very bad habit of leaving the lights on my bike on, and this looks like a lifesaver.

looneybabs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages looneybabs

It says it will jump a 4 or 6 cylinder car or motorcycle... So if you have a V8 it will not work.

BigD

quality posts: 69 Private Messages BigD
looneybabs wrote:It says it will jump a 4 or 6 cylinder car or motorcycle... So if you have a V8 it will not work.

That's not necessarily true. There are V6 engines with larger displacement than some V8s so it isn't a blanket statement.

While this isn't advertised to start a V8, read the Walmart reviews and see that there are several people stating that it did jump their V8. Of course, it depends on lots of factors like the age of the vehicle, the displacement of the engine and how dead your battery is.

What does refurbished or recertified mean? Click here to find out.

rivercabin0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rivercabin0

Sorry to say, my sister bought one from another source, charged it up and put it in her car. Only 30 days later it wouldn't even jump a 4-cylinder Honda CRV.